Thursday, March 8, 2012

Help Me Make a Micro-loan Through Kiva


I'm a Kiva lender. I work with Kiva.org to help alleviate poverty through micro-lending. I'm one of 700,000 who have made investments as little as $25 in food shops, vegetable co-ops, child care centers and the like, in places like Congo, Tajikistan, and Cambodia. It's a way to help bring political stability and quality of life to developing parts of the world, and do so with kindness instead of guns, drones, tanks or rhetoric. 


Surely nothing can stabilize life more than grassroots economic empowerment. Take the economic leverage out of the hands of dictators and put it in the hands of the people. Then see what real, honest democracy looks like.


Simply put, Kiva ... works. Those seeking loans apply and submit their stories. Local orgs coordinate with larger orgs to complete the loan process and fund the recipients. They sign repayment guarantees on their honor in front of their families and communities. 


As a lender, you don't earn interest on these loans, but you have the tremendous satisfaction of knowing you've directly and vitally changed people's lives for the better. As a person of faith and follower of the Golden Rule, that's all the interest I need.


And I've had great success with Kiva! Since 2008, my Foundation and I have made twenty-one loans to small groups and individuals. Most of the loans I've chosen to fund are to women, or groups headed by women, and in countries and regions where women are typically oppressed or whose voices are not heard. I believe that when we empower women in this way, we make the world a kinder and better place.

As of today, every cent I loaned has been repaid. To me, this is remarkable -- think of the default rate in most lending situations. The result is that I currently have funds sitting in my Kiva account, waiting to be re-invested. I'd like you to help me choose where to allocate it. 


Here's what I'd love you to do:
  • Visit kiva.org/lend and look at the current loan requests. These are heart-rending stories of real people who want to get ahead in life.
  • Leave the name of the person or group who most appeals to you as a comment on this blog. Include a blurb about why it appeals to you, if you like.
  • I'll pick the top three and make the investment on your behalf with my dollars. 
  • If you are as inspired as I am by the whole process, you may become a Kiva lender yourself. It just takes a few minutes to sign up, and you can loan as little as $25.

I am really excited to see how this will go. PLEASE participate. It costs you nothing, and can help change lives!

6 comments:

  1. http://www.kiva.org/lend/399297

    Thanks for posting - reminded me I had a Kiva credit to re-loan! I chose Teimuraz Kharaishvili. Seems like such a small sum to provide a 25% boost in income. Plus, he's got an honest face and a wild name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben it was difficult to choose,but I selected Unyenyekevu Group. This mom has 10 children and really wants something good for them for the future. Kavira sells second hand handbags just to support her family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Odongo, from Kenya. So cool to see a 25 year old who is so responsible and taking care of his brother in high school.
    This inspired me to join and make a loan to David as well. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Jackson Oyweka. He owns a primary school and is in need of new desks. He stands out to me for the simple reason, every other one that I read was about what people needed for themselves or their family but his seemed to be the only one that I saw as asking for the loan to be able to provide something (education) to others outside his own family.

    Side note: Thank you for posting this blog because I was not aware of this website before and now I am looking into following your example and becoming a "lender" (LoL feels really weird to describe myself that way :D) Thank you once again for teaching me something

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, this is @torontolydia from twitter. :)

    I don't know if you're still taking suggestions as this post is a few months old. Maybe in the last three months some more of your Kiva loans have been repaid, though?

    Fanny Maribel from Ecuador caught my attention. She only has 1 day left to fund her loan and it's at 96%. That's so close to the goal!

    Perpetual from Kenya is someone else to whom I'd lend money. She's been running a medical clinic for 20 years and is raising money to buy land. She hopes to one day rent it out as a source of income for her family. I like her practicality and the fact that she's already started and maintained one business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats great! I am going to re-post this!

    ReplyDelete