Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Best Advice You Ever Got from a High School Authority Figure?

Earlier today, I tweeted the question, "What's the best piece of advice you ever got from a Principal or other school authority figure?"


There were a flood of interesting responses -- far more than I would have expected. 


For what it's worth, here's mine: my High School creative writing teacher Mr. Podas saw my passion, and how I suffered for it. He once told me that for every great thing I might achieve in life, I should expect to be greeted not just with kudos, but with an almost equal amount of scorn, insult, and seeming disgust from those around me. He was right -- at the age of 42, I've gotten plenty of applause and been called truly horrible things so many times, little of it surprises me any longer. 


There were too many responses to post them all here, but I thought I might share a sampling of what you had to say. Some of these are optimistic, some bittersweet, others hilarious. Hope you enjoy them as much as I have:

 txlonghorn_02 

@ 

 Michael Rogers 

@ 

 Brett TeSlaa 

@ 

 Lily Jaquith 

@ 
 Mana 

@ 
 Michael Shirley 

@ 
 Joss 

@ 
 joelygabs 

@ 
 Mike 

@  


 Sarah 

@ 

 JFKimberley 

@ 

 Allison D. Duncan 

@ 
 Jonathan Gavaldon 

@ 
 Adam Sank 

@ 
 Melissa Kreipe 

@ 
 Steve Ralph 

@ 
 andydrinks 

@ 
 Ryan Blazer 

@ 


 Techlifter 

@ 

 Kathryn 

@ 
 Ryan Wardana 

 TrailerTrashTrez 

@ 
 Brian Eagle 

@ 
 Josh 

@ 
 Ali McCollum 



 Raelyn Ddub-Girly 


 Rebekah Phelps-Roper 

@ 



Thanks to all who weighed in!!

No comments:

Post a Comment