Wednesday, December 1, 2010

On Anger

There are days like today when what I feel more than anything is anger. Allowing anger to motivate—indeed, control—my thoughts and actions goes against what I speak about and hope to achieve within myself. This shortfall, in itself, is enervating for me; I get mad about being mad.

I grow defensive and rigid. I brace myself against anticipated assaults. I steel my gaze, my mouth draws tight, and my heart hardens.


I recognize that on whatever level, I’ve chosen to be angered by the telemarketer, the man at the gym who’s hogging the machine I want to use, the woman in traffic who is talking on her cell phone and, in her inattention, doesn’t allow me to turn. It’s my choice to let the dog’s yapping irritate me, to get riled at the preening politician or preacher on TV who’s claiming things that aren’t true.

I look at people and rather than seeing each as a child of God, I dehumanize them, viewing them as a series of threats and inconveniences. Yesterday, I tweeted a quote from Buddha – “You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” While I hope this advice is useful to others, in this instance it was directed at myself. Setting up the world such that everyone and everything I encounter is a threat is the worst punishment I could levy. It’s like signing up to be a victim of terrorism where I am the terrorist!

I'm convinced that many of us deal with this on an ongoing basis. We wake each morning and prepare ourselves for battle, never mind whether it's necessary or even useful on a given day. We’re armed to the teeth and ready to fight.

As I sit here, in this condition, I'm aware that it’s quite literally eating me alive. So I take a few breaths. That helps. I get up and close the door to the room so I am alone. This, too, helps. My terrier Susie comes and sits by me, close enough that we share warmth, but leaving me my autonomy. I feel a little heart-swell of gratitude toward her, the beginnings of what I want to feel more generally.

We know meditation helps us de-escalate. We know prayer (meditation’s more assertive cousin?) is useful as well. But I have a damned hard time getting myself to sit down and do either. Fury is so much quicker, and it’s seductive. It tells me I’m at odds with the world, that I’m right and the world is wrong. But this is a lie. I’m merely shadow-boxing. And the sooner I can get that through my thick head, the more solidly I’ll be back on the path I wish to travel.

Step one for me? Don’t simply create the sort quiet space I just described. The key is to quit fighting the anger. Simply let it be. The anger will melt as it loses its relevance.

Wow. Hard work.

11 comments:

  1. is how anger is more toxic to ourselves than it is to the object of our anger.

    It's not that one can avoid anger; rather, it can be turned into positive action. And your admonishment to "let it be" is completely different than giving in to it. To let it be is to acknowledge its existence, but does not mean that it's our master.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this also.

    Lately, I've been angry as hell..over so much--people, situations, frustrations, things out of my control, things IN my control.

    It wasn't until my therapist calmly pointed out that I rarely ADDRESS my anger (aka I'm probably a candidate for anger management issues) and that, until I do, I'm going to be a, as he put it, a "neutron bomb of anger so powerful it will wipe out western PA"

    So, now, I just breathe, and FEEL my anger...

    and I realize how my reasons for being angry are usually never important or even relevant.

    And, in the case of people, it may be justified; I allow myself to let it go...I'm learning how to love those who anger me, regardless if its justified or not. Which is hard because the easy way out is to CONTINUE to be angry with said person and not acknowledge WHAT is making you so angry towards them. The difficulty is realizing your part in whatever angers you about that person and saying: "You know what, you angered me. But, i still love you because this isn't about me or you. this is about whatever misinterpretations that have arisen between us and our inability to see or even address them. I'm stepping back to address it. I hope you do too. And, whether you do or you don't, I still and will always love you, my dear friend."

    I admit this is hard to do, and I will never say I'm a master at this. But, I am working hard at becoming a master of doing this with those in my life who upset me, etc.

    I'm still learning...but I will get there eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ben,
    I found your blog via twitter and after reading this post, I felt that I needed to comment. But first, thank you for sharing this. You've expressed what I have been feeling this last few months to a tee.

    It really do feels that we gear up each morning to face the world but not in a "let's get through this crazy day together" but in a "who's after me today?" kind of way. It's exhausting. Your post made me see that while there is no controlling what emotions we have we CAN control how we express those emotions externally. Our bad reactions could trigger someone else's bad reactions and so on and so forth.

    Also, this bit here really struck a chord within me:

    "I look at people and rather than seeing each as a child of God, I dehumanize them, viewing them as a series of threats and inconveniences."

    I find that I am guilty of this with my own children after coming home from a long day at work. It's definitely something I am not proud of and want to change.

    Thank you again for this post. It has inspired me to step back, breathe and realize that I can make better choices and make my days better. ;)

    ~LiLi

    PS-- sorry for the novel of a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SO needed this today.

    By the way, the Domo-kun picture? PERFECT Touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This, like others before me, comes along at just the right time. Life has dealt some cruel blows and I now find myself living in an area that I've never liked and never felt comfortable in. I stay here because it is my turn to take care of my parents, but nothing seems to be working out as I planned or prayed. I know God sent me here, but I find myself battling severe depression, feeling these days only the need to curl up in a ball and suck my thumb or heart pumping, fist slamming through the wall anger. It's so hard to let go. It's so hard to just let God. Thanks for the words of heartfelt "frustrated" encouragement. It's good to know someone successful has normal abnormalities. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! It's taken me years to just let it go and I can genuinely say that I have and do when someone or thing makes me angry. No more sweating the small stuff or the big stuff either. I just remind myself about karma, mine and their's. I think about what will happen to them eventually because of what they did, because of what they put out there in the universe. I can't even come close to doing to mean, insensitive people what the universe will do. Budda and the Buddists have it right on this one, and well, on a lot of other stuff too.

    @tamaris1 on the "twatter"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes channelling the anger into something productive is useful: a strenuous workout; writing a flaming letter to those who cause the anger (but then throw them away). Reportedly the Japanese companies have a room with a straw dummy where angry workers can go to beat the dummy with a bat to release their frustration and anger (certainly better than beating or shooting the real cause of their anger, don't you think?). If you play an instrument, working on an especially difficult piece can channel the anger (just make certain your instrument can stand the greater force you're using).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. I, too, am trying to create a space and find time to quietly meditate. I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your text is great. But I would swear you a suffering from PMS :-). Just kidding. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've mastered the fine art of making something out of nothing, Someone out of no one. Only in intellectually vapid Los Angeles, could you get away with this. But you are in communication with the equally deluded
    WBC, who plan to protest Steve Jobs funeral, and you will be silent. The only thing you could do with your pathetic resume of a life, and you do nothing. That makes me angry, you unfortunately self gorged feminized man.

    ReplyDelete