Monday, May 3, 2010

More back-and-forth on SB 1070

There is a Facebook page called 1 MILLION Strong AGAINST the Arizona Immigration Law SB1070

It actually has about 1.3 million followers as of the publishing of this blog. While most of the posts are anti-1070, there are a number of "patriotic" voices speaking out in support of the law. The back-and-forth is fascinating and I keep getting engaged. Here's an exchange from this evening:


Brian K Morris
Houston TX

I am glad to see that this law is gaining more and more support throughout the country. It seems as if people are starting to understand that this law does not infringe on anyone rights. No where in our constitution does it say you have the right to not be asked if you are here legally. Personally, I would be proud to show that I am a legal citizen. But alas, there are still people that think this is an attack on them....

You think that because you look Mexican, or perhaps your family is from Mexico that this law is infringing upon your rights (Let me be clear you is a general term here). You think that YOU are the target because of the color of your skin. You and every other person that looks Latino that is against this law are trying to make it about you. IT ISN’T ABOUT YOU. It’s about the 13 million people that are In our country illegally. It’s about the laws that are being broken not just by illegals but by the greedy companies that hire them. It’s about the moronic politicians that crave their votes. It’s about the thousands of families that have lost children to illegal prostitution rings. It’s about the thousands of families that have lost loved ones at the hands of an illegal. It is not our fault that Mexicans make up the largest percent of illegal immigrants in this country. To be quite honest I wish it were white people just so you and all the bleeding hearts wouldn’t have a reason to sue someone and cry. Sadly my wish isn’t coming true.

--------------------------------
My response:
--------------------------------

Brian,

I suspect you'll find few among us who'd argue with your suggestion that America is overdue for immigration reform. Regardless of one's politics, it's plain to see we as a nation have neglected this, and people have suffered and died as a result.

There are a huge number of ways to address the problem. The ultimate solution will surely be a combination of methods.

What I and many others who oppose SB 1070 feel is that this particular tool, while it may be somewhat effective, will extract a human toll so high -- among both legal and illegal people -- that we find it intolerable. In fact, it is so egregious to us that we're speaking out against it even though most of us live nowhere near Arizona and the law's implementation will have little to no impact on our daily lives.

To us it is reminiscent of South African Apartheid, which required Blacks to carry identification at all times. It brings to mind the "papers, please" regulations of Nazi Germany targeting Jews and homosexuals. In the current case, it's not the skin color of the group that will be most (and almost singularly) affected that disturbs us. It's the simple loss of civil rights, and ANY group being singled out, whether deliberately or as a matter of circumstance.

I got challenged earlier today by a Twitter follower who suggested I leave the discussion on SB 1070 to those who live a little closer to the border. I replied that I didn't to live in South Africa to see that Apartheid was a travesty, and if anything, the few hundred miles that separate me from this controversy allow me a cooler, less emotional perspective on things.

I certainly don't speak for all "bleeding hearts". But when THIS heart bleeds, it's for perceived injustice, period. The color of your skin, who or how you worship, and whom you love -- these are of little interest to me.

I doubt my words will change your mind, but I hope it will help give you more insight into why some of us are so alarmed at this moment. We're not ignorant, nor are drunk on the liberal sauce.

We just f'n care.

Ben Patrick Johnson
Los Angeles, CA

1 comment:

  1. Ben-
    Your response was fantastic. This law isn't just about the targeting of undocumented people, it is about chasing people out of our nation. In my humble opinion I think we need to look more at the employers, as they are "feeding" the problem of illegal immigration by hiring undocumented folks. Thank you for speaking out!

    ReplyDelete